It seems to me that I never have enough time to do the things I want to do because of all the things I have to do. I read a “Zits” comic the other day that summed up how I feel:
(The Chronicle Herald, Oct 13, 2010)
After I read the comic I started thinking about all the things I feel I need to do: lesson plans, marking, course work, cleaning, laundry, cooking, yard work, paying bills . . . the list could go on. The funny thing is that I could choose not to do any of these things. I would end up with no job, I wouldn’t complete my MEd, I would have a dirty house, no clean clothes, no food to eat, an unruly yard, and no water, power, or internet/phone. I would also probably feel more overwhelmed than when I do these things.
I also started to think about what other things I want to do instead. Things like eating home made mac and cheese, watching Castle, and reading good books, spending time with my family and friends, playing dodgeball and going for walks, watching my students grow up . . . Unless I do all of the things on my “don’t want to do” list then I won’t truly enjoy all the things I love.
It’s somewhat ironic that in order to be able to do the things I love, I need to do the things I don’t love as much.
When I make lists like these too, I realize how truly fortunate I am in my life. I have a job to plan for and that pays my bills, a house to clean, clothes to wear, food to eat, and a yard to take care of. Suddenly I feel guilty for complaining.
How did I go from a rant about course work to feeling blessed that I have work to do?
No comments:
Post a Comment